OIA TRADE ALERT: Add Your Company to Letter Opposing More Tariffs
As discussed in an OIA member webinar last week, President Trump has proposed a fourth round of punitive tariffs on $300 billion worth of products that covers nearly all remaining imports from China, including outdoor apparel and footwear.
These products will face an additional tariff of up to 25 percent if they are sourced from China: hiking boots, hiking shoes, trail running shoes, skis, sleeping bags, ski jackets and pants, polar fleeces and all other apparel, footwear and sporting goods.
Sign the Americans for Free Trade Coalition Letter
In addition to submitting comments and/or participating in a public hearing on the president’s proposal beginning on June 17 (details below), OIA is urging members to add their name to a multi-industry company and association sign-on letter organized by Americans for Free Trade opposing the latest round of tariffs. You can add your company’s name to the letter here. The deadline is June 12, 2019.
OIA is an active member of the Americans for Free Trade and the Tariffs Hurt the Heartland coalitions. You can find the Tariffs Hurt the Heartland ’s most recent statement on the president’s threat here.
Details on the Public Comment Process:
The administration has released details on a public comment period and public hearing in which stakeholders can weigh in on the proposed tariffs:
- June 10: Due date to submit a request to appear and a summary of expected testimony at the public hearing in Washington, D.C.
- June 17: Due date for submission of written comments
- June 17: Public hearing begins in Washington, D.C. (likely will run several days)
- Seven days after public hearing ends: Rebuttal comments are due
Following the end of the public comment period, the Office of the United States Trade Representative (USTR) will publish a final list of products and a timetable for a punitive tariff of “up to 25 percent” for coming into effect.
Some Details Remain Fuzzy:
It is unclear when the final list of products will be published and when or if the additional tariff will be implemented. Negotiations between the United States and China will continue, with the goal of a comprehensive agreement that will protect U.S. intellectual property and remove all punitive tariffs.
Here’s What Else You Can Do:
- TAKE ACTION: Contact your elected officials, urging them to stand with the outdoor industry against higher tariffs.
- SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS: Submit comments on the fourth round of tariffs during the public period. Go to regulations.gov, search “USTR-2019-0004” and click on “comment now.”
- TESTIFY: Submit a request to appear at the public hearing on the fourth round of tariffs with a summary of your testimony. Go to regulations.gov, search “USTR-2019-0004” and then click on “comment now.”
- You should also email a PDF of the request to appear and summary of your testimony to email@example.com. Be sure to include your name and “Request to Testify” in the subject line.
- LEARN MORE: Watch the in-depth OIA webinar on the U.S.-China trade dispute. You will learn all you need to know about the latest round of tariffs, the products they cover and how you can participate in the public comment period to remove these tariffs.
We will continue to provide you with the latest intelligence as we learn more. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions and to learn more about how you can contact your representatives and share your story through the media.